Chiene + Tait is an award-winning independent chartered accountancy firm headquartered in Edinburgh’s New Town. We have a 130-year history, four offices, 10 Partners and over 130 staff.
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Trainee Chartered Accountant to join Chiene + Tait as part of our Audit Assurance team. As part of your role in Audit Assurance, you will complete a professional Chartered Accountancy (CA) qualification under a three-year Training Contract with the Institute of Chartered Accountants Scotland (ICAS). Becoming a CA equips you with valuable, lifelong business expertise for your career ahead. At Chiene + Tait we couple this with early responsibility, a varied client-facing role, fully funded study support and a structured career pathway.
On completion of training, many of our post-qualified CA’s have decided to continue developing their career with Chiene + Tait. This demonstrates our commitment to offering a meaningful career for our Trainees – several of our partners also trained with the firm and through this, we offer you real-life expertise and mentoring support.
What you will do
You will train to become a Chartered Accountant with ICAS by joining our Audit department on a 3-year training contract, usually starting and finishing by end of August.
Your role will involve:
- Completion of external audit fieldwork as directed by experienced colleagues.
- Checking client documentation is reported in accordance with accounting standards and legislative requirements.
- Visiting client sites to complete Audit fieldwork, usually along with senior colleagues.
- Testing clients’ accounts and compiling ratios for audit reports.
- Inputting information and running reports from Audit Automation software (CCH).
- Analysing clients’ financial information using IDEA CaseWare Data Analytic Software.
- Downloading client books and records from accounting software, such as Sage 50 and Xero.
- Accounts preparation where instructed, including inputting to ledgers.
- Supporting clients with the planning phase and acting as a liaison between the client teams and our office.
- Completing work within required timescales and according to budget.
- Where applicable, secondments may be offered to departments including Business Support, Annual Accounts and Taxation.
What we are looking for
We are looking for someone who can use initiative and work in an accountable manner. You should have:
- An honours degree or be expected to obtain an honours degree in a similar discipline.
- Commitment to achieve a Chartered Accountant qualification with willingness to undertake intensive training.
- The ability to work under pressure and to deadlines.
- Excellent organisation skills.
- Communication skills, with an ability to develop positive working relationships with clients, partners and fellow trainees alike.
- Motivation to see tasks to completion and to deliver a high standard of work.
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to a variety of tasks and duties.
Willingness to travel and ability to work away from home (with notice).
Apply using the link below, where you will be asked to register an online account with us to submit your CV and complete an application form. We will also require applicants to submit a short covering letter detailing what makes you a suitable candidate for this role and including your salary expectations and where applicable, your notice period.
We are keen to receive applications immediately and interviews will commence once a sufficient number of suitable applications has been received. This contract is anticipated to start in August 2019. We are flexible and could start either vacancy earlier or later depending on the situation.