A BDO client will generally have some short – term goals and a long- term vision; but standing in their way will often be a number of tax-related issues. Our Job is to act as guides through the complex, ever- changing landscape of tax legislation, to help our clients get where they want to be by the most effective route.
To do this, we must offer many different tax services. These include day-to-day compliance with the tax authorities, advice on employment taxation and international tax, transaction support for deals such as mergers and acquisitions, VAT services, expatriate tax advice and more. Such a diverse offering means we need similar variety in our team. We need specialists who can handle the most technically challenging and sector-specific issues, we need versatile and people-focused individuals who can field a wide range of questions from large owner-managed businesses, and we need brilliant innovators who can work on tailored solutions to address a client’s specific circumstances.
Our team of senior tax specialists guarantee a personal service delivering accurate, authoritative advice and guidance on all tax-related matters to help our clients solve tax issues quickly and efficiently whatever the size of your company. As the UK Member Firm of BDO International, we have a great rapport to advise their businesses wherever they do business.
BDO offer a 6 week paid summer internship to undergraduates who are in their penultimate year of study, running from early-July to mid-August each year.
The internship kicks off with an induction week giving you the opportunity to network with your peers and new colleagues. When you hit the desk you're ready to experience life and work at BDO, whilst gaining useful insight into our business and culture. Each intern is allocated a manager and buddy to support you within your role.
During your final week we'll invite you to attend a partner presentation and interview to be considered for graduate opportunities. As the internships can be a step into a full time career with us, it is important that all candidates can demonstrate an understanding of the graduate role and attributing professional qualifications.
Business Area Overview
• Assist the Trainees, Tax Associates and Managers as part of a wider team to service their client, prepare client tax computations and returns supervised by the Senior Tax Associates and Manager
• Ensure clients’ files have all relevant documentation and are checked thoroughly on a regular basis
• Carry out ad hoc assignments which is required by the line manager
• Take responsibility for all client matters as directed by the Senior Tax Associate and Manager
• Active adherence to budget and time pressures, bringing matters to the attention of the Senior or Manager
• Preparation of engagement letters and client acceptance documentation
• Ensure professional standards is maintained
• Must demonstrate strong team playing skills in all client and internal management dealings
• Develop professional relationships with clients and within the firm
• Provide an efficient and proactive service to clients and their internal management to ensure that their needs are met
• Undertake any training or development co-ordinated by the Tax team
• Willing and open to take on tasks and challenges provided by their
Candidates must have, or be on course for the following grades (or international equivalent):
•A minimum 2.2 degree in any discipline
•3 A Levels at grades A*- C, or Scottish Advanced Higher or Higher grade equivalent , excluding General Studies and Extended Projects
•Grade 9-4 in English Language & Maths GCSE, or Scottish National 5 equivalent.
We are looking for candidates who possess strengths that are aligned to: Business Thinking, Collaborating, Innovation and Change, Communicating, Developing Self and others, Decision Making, Reasoned judgement, and Analytical skills.