A BDO client will generally have some short-term goals and a long-term vision. But standing in their way will often be a number of tax-related issues. Our job is to act as guides through the complex, ever- changing landscape of tax legislation, to help our clients get where they want to be by the most effective route.
To do this, we must offer many different tax services. These include day-to-day compliance with the tax authorities, advice on employment taxation and international tax, transaction support for deals such as mergers and acquisitions, VAT services, expatriate tax advice and more. Such a diverse offering means we need similar variety in our team. We need specialists who can handle the most technically challenging and sector-specific issues, we need versatile and people-focused individuals who can field a wide range of questions from large owner-managed businesses, and we need brilliant innovators who can work on tailored solutions to address a client’s specific circumstances.
Our Employment Tax specialists provide advisory services to clients. We will help clients to set and maintain their Senior Accounting Officer and Corporate Criminal Offence strategy, stress test clients systems, negotiate on contentious matters with HMRC and advise on employment status and remuneration packages, such as flexible benefit arrangements.
BDO offer the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Scotland (ICAS) qualification and there's never been a better time to train to become a Chartered Accountant (CA). The CA qualification is exceptional. An internationally respected qualification, that provides you with the knowledge, skills and values to become a highly regarded and sought-after business professional You can look forward to an interesting and varied career. The duration of this programme is 36 months.
A role within this team would give an opportunity to learn about all aspects of employment taxation. Initially you would deal mainly with tax compliance matters and more basic advisory work but you would have early exposure to clients and the opportunity to shadow more senior members of the team on calls/at meetings so there is an early opportunity for interaction with clients. With experience there would be increased exposure to both client relationships and advisory matters.
Business Area Overview
• Assist the Employment Tax team in servicing their clients, working primarily with Assistant Managers and Managers but also direct working with senior team members on tax advisory and compliance projects
• Take responsibility for all client matters as directed by the wider Employment Tax team
• Prepare compliance returns e.g., Forms P11D and PAYE Settlement Agreement calculations, and support the Manager responsible for the team’s compliance portfolio
• Preparation of engagement letters and client acceptance documentation
• Active adherence to budget and time pressures, bringing matters to the attention of the relevant Manager
• Ensure professional standards are met
• Focus on delivering high quality work with attention to detail
• Provide an efficient and proactive service to clients and the wider employment tax team to ensure that their needs are fully met
• Undertake any training or development co-ordinated by the Tax team
• Willing and open to take on tasks and challenges provided by their Manager
• Successfully study towards your professional qualification and, where relevant, corresponding apprenticeship
Candidates must have, or be on course for the following grades (or international equivalent):
•A minimum 2.2 degree in any discipline
•3 A Levels at grades A*- C, or Scottish Advanced Higher or Higher grade equivalent , excluding General Studies and Extended Projects
•Grade 9-4 in English Language & Maths GCSE, or Scottish National 5 equivalent
We are looking for candidates who possess strengths that are aligned to: Business Thinking, Collaborating, Innovation and Change, Communicating, Developing Self and others, Decision Making, Reasoned judgement, and Analytical skills.