Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley’s Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant.
The Glasgow Finance team is over 220 strong and spans a wide range of functions including: Product Control; Market Risk Control; Liquidity Control; Treasury Currency Management; Compensation Control; Tax; Legal Entity Control and Governance; Accounting Advisory Services; General Ledger Governance; Regulatory Reporting and Finance Risk. The variety and scope of our opportunities across all levels allows our employees to enjoy fulfilling and challenging long-term careers. In order to maintain this we require finance professionals of all levels, both qualified and non-qualified, who are committed to working in a challenging and ever evolving industry. For non-qualified candidates we actively support a number of professional qualifications.
The Legal Entity Control Group is responsible for the financial management and control of the Firm’s legal entities. We are a well-established team in Glasgow that currently manages circa 80% of the firm’s consolidated subsidiary population. The team is responsible for preparing audited and unaudited statutory financial statements; management accounts; regulatory reporting; and other reporting for senior management when requested. We are also responsible for ensuring that standard monthly and quarterly financial reporting controls and validations operate correctly.
This role represents an exciting opportunity to be part of a global function with responsibility for the management and oversight of financial information as well as ownership of all reporting and control processes. The candidate will be required to engage with and support a wide range of stakeholders in the firm.
- Preparation of financial statements under various GAAPs including liaison with auditors.
- Preparation of monthly management packs for Finance senior management, including detailed variance analysis and commentary on business drivers.
- Financial analysis and support for various regulatory reporting, including submissions to Bank of England, Dutch National Bank and US Federal Reserve.
- Maintain effective relationships with other internal groups across both the Finance organisation (including Product Controllers and Compensation Controllers) and across the wider firm (including Tax, Company Secretarial, Bank Resource Management and Treasury).
- Ability to present financial information in both written and verbal communication to senior management.
- Identify, escalate and co-ordinate resolution of issues.
- Enhance processes and controls and actively seek improvements.
- Supporting Legal Entity initiatives within the firm and involvement in projects impacting the legal entities supporting the group.
- The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate a rounded commercial approach to reporting and legal entity control, with proven skills in maintaining a strong control environment
- Problem solving ability with proven skills in chasing issues through many layers to discover root causes.
- Confident in managing relationships across a wide variety of stakeholders and business areas.- Ability to manage work load effectively balancing multiple issues and priorities appropriately.
- Strong analytical, organisational and documentation skills.
- Professional accountancy qualification (CA, ACCA, CIMA).
- Excellent Microsoft Excel skills and proficient in data mining and summarising and presenting themes and results in a meaningful format.
- Highly numerate with a close attention to detail.
- Have the flexibility required to work in a dynamic environment under tight deadlines.
The following personal attributes are important for this role:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Team worker
- Professional accountancy qualification (CA, ACCA, CIMA)
Interested in flexible working opportunities? Morgan Stanley empowers employees to have greater freedom of choice through flexible working arrangements. Speak to our recruitment team to find out more.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-CL3