Audit means much more than crunching numbers. Auditors are integral to keeping the UK financial system safe for investors and the public. As auditors we use smart questions to get to know our client’s businesses, and maintain scepticism throughout the audit process to ensure we remain impartial. At the completion of an audit we can provide constructive feedback to our clients helping to improve the business’s operations, whilst also helping shareholders to have a full understanding of a company’s financial performance and business risks. As the majority of the audit process involves us working in different teams, with people at varying stages of their career, we’re fortunate to get to know our BDO colleagues really well and often become life-long friends.
BDO offer the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Scotland (ICAS) qualification and there's never been a better time to train to become a Chartered Accountant (CA). The CA qualification is exceptional. An internationally respected qualification, that provides you with the knowledge, skills and values to become a highly regarded and sought-after business professional You can look forward to an interesting and varied career. The duration of this programme is 36 months.
An Audit Trainee will form part of the audit team both on-site at clients, and in the office, ensuring that all aspects of the audit are completed on time and within budget. You will be expected to study for, and complete, your accounting qualification over the and will be supported, developed and supervised by senior members of the Audit Group.
Business Area Overview
• You will assist within the wider team by obtaining audit evidence necessary to support opinions given
• Prepare analysis of accounting data from client’s books and records
• Ensure audit files have all relevant documentation on the appropriate section; review appropriate and sufficient documentation obtained to support the opinion and conclusions
• Active engagement with client staff in the gathering of appropriate audit evidence
• Active adherence to budget and timetable, bringing matters to the attention of the Senior or Manager, particularly when actual time is in excess of budget
• Involvement in the planning, execution and finalisation of the audit assignment supporting the Audit Manager
• Ensure compliance with internal (audit methodology and risk management) and external (regulatory) requirements
• Identify and understand client needs, including providing initial solutions to client challenges, then communicating these needs and solutions to your Senior or Manager
• Build strong relationships with new and established clients
• Carry out ad hoc assignments as reasonably required by your group
• Undertake any training or development co-ordinated by your group
• Coaching and assisting more junior trainees on the team, both at client premises and in the office
• Participate in group, stream and firm wide activities
• Successfully study towards your professional qualification and, where relevant, corresponding apprenticeship
"Candidates must have, or be on course for the following grades (or international equivalent):
•A minimum 2.2 degree in any discipline
•3 A Levels at grades A*- C, or Scottish Advanced Higher or Higher grade equivalent , excluding General Studies and Extended Projects
•Grade 9-4 in English Language & Maths GCSE, or Scottish National 5 equivalent
We are looking for candidates who possess strengths that are aligned to: Business Thinking, Collaborating, Innovation and Change, Communicating, Developing Self and others, Decision Making, Reasoned judgement, and Analytical skills.